Friday, October 16, 2009

Bright Star

Bright Star is a film about the love affair between 19th century English poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne. It was a beautifully filmed movie taking place in the English country side, but my high expectations were not necessarily fulfilled. I am a fan of Keats work since I studied his poetry last semester in my 19th century British Literature class and I had been looking forward to seeing this film for quite some time. I found it to be a bit slow and unfortunately the connection between John and Fanny was not very believable in my eyes. It was not a bad movie per se, but definitely not as amazing as I thought it was going to be (honestly I think my expectations were too high). All in all it was a pleasant and eye appealing movie, but I would not go see it again.







Bright Star

Bright star, would I were steadfast as thou art--

...Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night

And watching, with eternal lids apart,...

Like nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,

The moving waters at their priestlike task

...Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,

Or gazing on the new soft fallen mask

...Of snow upon the mountains and the moors--

No--yet still steadfast, still unchangeable,

...Pillow'd upon my fair love's ripening breast,

To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,

...Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,

Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,

...And so live ever--or else swoon to death

No comments:

Post a Comment