Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Just a thought...

My brother Nick and I just had a deep discussion on art and how society's reactions towards art have altered over the years. Is it just me or does it seem like people are turning their backs on art? People seem to be more and more disinterested in art, I mean obviously there are still people who admire it, but it is definitely not as relevant as it was back in let's say the 19th or 20th century. Why is this? I think art has taken a new form...it has left the museums and traditional paint-on-canvas medium and has branched off into alternate mediums such as street art and cyberspace, multi-media art (which I will be completely honest...I am not a huge fan of). It seems like nowadays we have morphed into this mega attention-deficit disorder society where in order for something to grasp our attention it has to be accessible, such as music, movies, and television whose industries are at their highest. We have become robots who just sit down and expect entertainment to come to us...I personally feel the internet is to blame, actually no the invention of the television might have been the original, but the internet definitely did not help. We are so immune to our surroundings with all of the ads and bullshit that is being thrown at us on a daily basis, but when you really open your eyes and analyze your surroundings it is completely overwhelming. It actually makes me sad that several people, young adults and adolescents in particular, are being fed so much crap that we are unable to visit a museum or exhibition and fully appreciate and acknowledge the beauty of art because it no longer grasps our attention.

Anyway, it was just a thought...

1 comment: